Over more than 35 years, Galiher DeRobertis & Waxman has been very successful in achieving the most favorable results possible for our clients both at trial and in settlement negotiations. We aggressively pursue all of our cases, and will do so on your behalf.
The attorneys at the Galiher firm truly believe that it is an honor and privilege to represent you and your loved ones. It is a privilege that we do not take lightly. We strive to uphold that honor, and our efforts are reflected in the billions of dollars in recoveries, verdicts, and settlements that we have achieved over the past 35 years. We truly work on your behalf.
Let our results speak for themselves:
- $1.4 Billion: Galiher DeRobertis & Waxman obtained $1.4 billion for the taxpayers of Hawaii in a settlement against the tobacco industry
- $600 Million: For asbestos victims over the past 35 years. We have also recovered tens of millions of dollars in non-asbestos personal injury or wrongful death suits, including significant class-action settlements.
- $400 Million Class Action Settlement with Travelers Insurance Company for fraud against asbestos claimants, as part of a national consortium of law firms.
- $12.5 Million Settlement in a products liability case for a worker injured by marine equipment insulated with asbestos.
- $9.9 Million Settlement in a wrongful death case for the family of a man who died of mesothelioma asbestos cancer.
- $9.8 Million Verdict for a Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard worker who developed mesothelioma after working with asbestos products for many decades.
- $9.1 Million Settlement in a wrongful death case for the family of a construction worker in his 40’s who worked with asbestos products.
- $5.8 Million Settlement for a Navy veteran with mesothelioma.
- $5.3 Million Verdict for an industrial worker exposed to asbestos on the job.
- $5 Million Aggregate Settlement: After negotiating this settlement on behalf of 141 asbestos plaintiffs, the Galiher law firm demanded that Johns-Manville, the largest asbestos manufacturer and seller in the world, post a bond to guarantee its settlement. When Johns Manville shortly thereafter declared bankruptcy, the Galiher clients were in a unique position. All of our clients received their settlements even when Johns-Manville was in Chapter 11 bankruptcy – a bankruptcy that left thousands of asbestos victims without any recovery from this major asbestos company for many years. Even when they later recovered from Johns Manville, it was at a fraction of their former settlements. The Galiher clients benefited in a way that no other asbestos plaintiffs did.
- $3.9 Million Settlement in an asbestos products liability case brought by a shipyard worker.
- $3.7 Million Settlement for the family of a Navy veteran in an asbestos case.
- $3.4 Million Settlement for an electrician who worked with electrical products containing asbestos.
- $3.1 Million Settlement for a woman who was exposed to asbestos..
- $2.4 Million Settlement for a pipe-fitter in his 70s exposed to asbestos from valves, pumps, and other equipment.
- $2.4 Million Settlement for a former Navy officer whose only exposure was his short career as an officer.
- $2.1 Million Settlement for a Nanakuli family in a wrongful death case.
- $2.0 Million Settlement for the family of a merchant marine exposed to asbestos.
- $1.9 Million Settlement for the family of a construction worker exposed to asbestos on the job.
- $1.9 Million Settlement for a cement worker in an asbestos personal injury case.
- $1.8 Million Settlement for an unmarried shipyard workers with mesothelioma..
- $1.75 Million Settlement for a shipyard worker in a mesothelioma case.
- $1.7 Million Settlement for a Navy submariner with mesothelioma.
- $1.6 Million Settlement for an active duty Navy seaman who contracted mesothelioma.
- $1.5 Million Settlement for a man exposed to asbestos in the construction industry.
- $1.4 Million Settlement for a Pearl Harbor worker and his family.
- $1.3 Million Settlement for the widow of a Navy veteran with mesothelioma.
- $1.3 Million Settlement for a shipwright worker with mesothelioma.
- $1.3 Million Settlement for a Navy veteran in his 60’s who worked on submarines.
- $1.2 Million Settlement for a steward in the Navy exposed to asbestos on various ships.
- $1.2 Million Settlement for the widow of a Navy veteran in an asbestos case.
- $1.1 Million Settlement in a wrongful death case.
- $1.1 Million Settlement for the family of a merchant marine exposed to asbestos.
Multi-Million Dollar Settlements Under Court Seal
We have recovered millions of dollars in settlements for our clients who have suffered catastrophic injuries and for those who have contracted mesothelioma. While we are not at liberty to reveal the amount of these settlements because the Court ordered that the settlements remain confidential, they were all in the millions of dollars. Here are some of the facts of those cases:
- A 65-year-old boiler tender who was exposed to asbestos while working aboard ships at naval shipyard for 7 years received a substantial settlement from companies whose products required asbestos insulation and asbestos gaskets and packing that were routinely removed during maintenance and repair.
- A 73-year-old gentlemen who contracted mesothelioma from his decades of work as a dry wall hanger recovered a settlement in the millions of dollars from the companies who incorporated asbestos into the products that this gentlemen worked with on a daily basis.
- A Kauai couple in their 70s, who both developed mesothelioma as a result of the husband working with asbestos products in a sugar mill, received a significant settlement.
- The family of a man who was fatally injured by an unsafe construction man-lift received millions in settlement.
- There was a major recovery for a motorcyclist who was catastrophically injured in an accident caused by unmarked speed bumps.
- The family of a man who suffered a fatal fall down the stairwell of a basketball stadium recovered a significant settlement.
- There was a very significant settlement for a Maui visitor who was injured on a downhill bicycle tour, leaving her paraplegic.
- The families of two women farm workers who were fatally injured by a negligent driver recovered a significant settlement.
- A substantial settlement was received by a 25-year-old woman struck by a motor vehicle while crossing a road at night.
- There was a significant recovery for the family of an 11-year-old boy who was killed when his uncle’s car hydroplaned off the highway into ravine.
Success on Appeals
Our record is also outstanding in the appellate courts. When the jury verdicts from our successful trials have been appealed, our firm has won every significant legal issue on appeal.
Every Case Is Unique
Every case is unique and any recovery is based on the particular facts of the case at hand. The results in one case do not determine the results in another since every case is different in terms of the facts and circumstances. While prior results cannot guarantee the results in future cases, the Galiher law firm works tirelessly to obtain the best results for its clients.